Anticipation is mounting as the 39th Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild (CWG) Auction approaches.
Taking place on Friday 6 and Saturday 7 October 2023 at the Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West, the Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction showcases rare and unique wines produced in small quantities. All wines are exclusively produced for the auction by members of the Cape Winemakers Guild, a group of highly respected winemakers who hail from appellations across the length and breadth of the Cape winelands.
This year’s auction will see a total of 39 wines from 31 Guild members on offer. These comprise 15 white wines and 24 red wines.
A total of 478 lots will be sold over the two days – 156 lots on the Friday evening and 322 on the Saturday. All the wines will be offered on both days. On Friday evening, lot sizes will range from 12 to 24 bottles, and although lots of 12 bottles will be available on Saturday, the focus will be on larger lots of 24 or 36 bottles.
The auction will also be hosted online by Strauss & Co, giving those who cannot attend in person the opportunity to bid online in real-time via the Strauss & Co website, by telephone or commission bid.
- Erika Obermeyer (Erika Obermeyer Wines), Alex Starey (Keermont Vineyards), Richard Kershaw (Kershaw Wines) and Donovan Rall (Rall Wines) will have wines on auction for the first time
- Pierre Wahl (Survivor Wines) will have two wines on auction under the Survivor label for the first time
- Sebastian Beaumont (Beaumont Family Wines) will have a Pinotage on auction for the first time
- David Finlayson (David Finlayson Wines) will have his first Tempranillo on auction
- Andrea Mullineuxwill have a Cabernet Franc on auction for the first time
- Carel Nel will have his last wines on Auction this year, as he is planning to move from Member status this year
A full list of the 2023 Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction wines is available from the Cape Winemakers Guild website here.
The Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction is facilitated by Strauss & Co. The following auctioneers have been confirmed for the event:
How to Buy on the Auction:
- To bid on the Auction, bidders will need to create a bidder’s account.
- Once a bidding account has been created, bidders can register to bid on the Strauss and Co website from Thursday, 24 August 2023.
Read our comprehensive ‘Beginners Guide to the Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction’.
Attend the Auction
The event is open to all who wish to experience the fun and excitement of the Auction at the Lord Charles Hotel in person. Tickets are available on Quicket:
The Friday Session (6 October from 16:00 to 20:00)
The Saturday session (7 October from 08:00 to 16:00)
A special combo ticket to attend both the Friday and Saturday sessions can also be purchased:
In the run-up to the big event, there will be various opportunities to taste the 2023 Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction wines.
Two informal, walk-around tastings will be hosted in Cape Town and Johannesburg towards the end of August. The Cape Town Auction Showcase will be taking place on 24 August at the CTICC and the Johannesburg Auction Showcase will be taking place on 30 August at the Nedbank Atrium in Sandton. Tickets are R500 pp and available for purchase on Quicket.
There will be a formal tutored (seated) tasting of the 2023 Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction wines at the Lord Charles Hotel on Friday, 6 October from 12:30 to 15:30.
This is open to the public and tickets can be purchased online on Quicket.